Hougang is a mature town with good schools and a variety of parks and sports facilities. Over the next few years, residents will be able to enjoy more community facilities and recreational options and have access to more jobs near home. There are also plans to showcase the town’s rich history and heritage sites.
Our towns are planned with a comprehensive range of facilities to meet the needs of current and future residents. These include housing, shops, schools, libraries, sports facilities, community clubs and parks – all important in ensuring a liveable, self-sufficient town. The facilities are carefully distributed across each town to ensure good accessibility, supported by an efficient transport network.
Most towns also have commercial nodes and other employment centres such as industrial estates and business parks within the town or nearby, to provide job opportunities close to homes.
The detailed planning and implementation of plans for each town is a joint effort of many government agencies..
Housing: Gracious living in a heritage town
Hougang currently offers a good mix of public and private housing types to cater to a range of needs and preferences. As part of the plans to rejuvenate the town, areas near Punggol Park will be opened up for building new homes over the next few years.
At the same time, various initiatives will be implemented to enhance the overall living environment and to strengthen the residents’ connection with local history, including:
• A one-stop community club with a hawker centre, a healthcare facility and an arts centre, located at Hougang Avenue 9
• An Estate Upgrading Programme including a new pedestrian footbridge across Sungei Punggol at the Gerald-Mugliston Estate
• More retail amenities at Kovan, Hougang Central, Hougang Avenue 7, Buangkok Drive and Jalan Pelikat
• Enhancements such as the Upper Serangoon Road heritage corridor to showcase Hougang’s history
• Improvements to public spaces such as new walkways and landscaping at Hougang Central
• A new nursing home to serve the needs of our elderly residents at Hougang Avenue 8
Transport: Better roads for better rides
Served by two MRT stations and a bus interchange, Hougang is well connected to other parts of Singapore via public transport. Within the town, getting around will become much easier with transport improvements to smoothen traffic flow and improve accessibility, including:
• A new integrated transport hub at Hougang MRT Station
• Road improvements along Upper Serangoon Road, Upper Paya Lebar Road, Tampines Road, Lorong Ah Soo and Hougang Central
• Extension of Buangkok Link and Buangkok Crescent to complete the local road network within the neighbourhood
• Construction of the Cross Island Line. This will pass through Hougang when it starts operations by 2030, and provides another direct MRT route to Changi and the west, as well as other major towns
Leisure: Greener than ever
In addition to several neighbourhood parks and precinct parks, residents in Hougang have easy access to many major parks in the north-eastern region via the North-Eastern Riverine Loop (NERL) park connectors.
When the NERL eventually becomes part of the 150km-long Round Island Route, recreational sites farther afield will be even more accessible, such as the Changi Coastal Loop. As the green network expands in future, most homes in Hougang will be closer to parks or park connectors. This includes:
• New neighbourhood parks within Kovan Estate
• A park at the future Lorong Halus Industrial Park
• An expanded Punggol Park
• An extended park connector at Hougang Avenue 3 to link up with the Pelton Canal park connector, providing easier access to Kallang Riverside
• New interim sports facilities at the Jalan Kayu Sports Hub on Buangkok Crescent
• Enhancements to the canal at Hougang Avenue 10 under PUB’s Active, Beautiful, Clean (ABC) Waters programme, through new landscaping with lookout decks, shelters and seating
Economy: Attractive work places near home
Defu Industrial Park will be redeveloped and its total industrial floor space will be increased significantly. The redeveloped estate will offer more jobs as well as a more attractive work environment with features such as a cycling network and an amenities centre.
Residents hoping for short commutes to work can also look forward to new jobs at the upcoming Lorong Halus Industrial Park. This new-generation industrial park is targeted at light and clean industries such as food, lifestyle and logistics, and will boast a vibrant riverfront lined with lush greenery.